A message from your local GMD coordinator:
Typically around this time of the school year is when GMD competition starts and the competitors go at it for three full weeks before they have to submit a game. I am announcing today that there WILL be a GMD event happening this school year but just not this current term (fall 2007). Instead, the competition will take place in February 2008 for three weeks leading up to the end of reading week. Nothing is set in stone yet, but we are planning to have the competition to run from February 1st to the 22nd. The main reasons behind this change is because:
- There will be a week where most people can devote all their time towards making a working game demo for GMD (“no time” excuses become less of an issue, in theory at least).
- Most importantly, to give first years’ and new members of the club some time to learn the tools and theory behind making a game
Not only that, the competition rules will be significantly different than previous years, and hopefully for the better. Changes being planned include:
- Voting for a theme topic to be used
- Two rounds of judging for games: first round by other participants, second round by industry and faculty (a panel of at least three judges)
- Judging based on categories
- GMD “Office Hours” — executive members will hold Q&A help sessions throughout the competition to help beginners get their game working
- NO anonymous rule — you are now free to discuss your game amongst your other competitors
- Alumnis can participate in a special Alumni Deathmatch Challenge!
Details will follow and will be worked out. Stay tuned for the best GMD competition yet! If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to send me an email.